Somalisa Camp boasts luxurious and elegantly furnished canvas safari tent accommodation with ensuite bathrooms and al fresco bush showers. The stunning guest area and inground pool overlook a floodplain in the middle of Hwange National Park. The lounge room and dining areas are cleverly positioned under soaring tree canopies looking out to a sprawling vista which you’ll never get tired of. Guests can feast on gourmet meals while enjoying superb selections of both Australian and South African wines.
Somalisa Camp and her smaller sister camp Somalisa Acacia (more suited to families) both share an island of large shady acacia trees in a private and tranquil area in the heart of the Hwange National Park. Both camps enjoy fantastic views along the Kennedy Vlei line savannah where herds of elephant assemble to drink from and bathe in the camp’s natural waterholes. You may even catch them drinking from one of the camp’s swimming pools too.
Somalisa Camp features seven luxury safari tent rooms which are made from the canvas on walls and roofs with wooden floors. After a day on safari or travelling, our guests can relax on their own private deck, enjoy an indoor fireplace and freshen up in the ensuite bathroom before retiring to an extremely comfortable bedroom.
Somalisa Acacia accommodation includes four tents – two standard and two large family safari-style tents (family tents consist of a double bedroom and twin bed configuration). This camp is great for families with children of all ages able to enjoy an exciting nature-based kid’s programme.
The wildlife and adventures at Somalisa Camp are plentiful. Guest can experience bush walks led by local qualified guides, game drives (day or night) in open purpose-built 4×4 safari vehicles as well as game and bird viewing from hideaway bunkers (“hides”). The Big Five make themselves at home at Somalisa Camp including zebra, giraffe and if you are lucky you may catch a glimpse of the rare roan antelope.
What we love about Somalisa Camp
- Let the wildlife come to you and spend a leisurely afternoon viewing game from the camp or one of Somalisa’s hides.
- Relax in the refreshing swimming pool while sipping on our delicious cocktails.
- Somalisa’s own private concession offers exclusive game viewing experiences without the risk of coming across countless other vehicles (the concession also has the bonus of guests participating in night-time game drives).
- Spotting lounging leopards on tree branches of the quiet teak forest is a unique experience. Relax in the camp pool and you may find a curious elephant close by staring back at you.
- Private night safaris are very special with the spotlights controlled by our guides you will be amazed by the number of nocturnal animals you could find.
- Enjoy the amazing sight of big bull elephants standing and playing in natural waterholes.
- Gourmet pizzas are a Somalisa specialty, you must try one from made fresh by the resident chef.